Continuing from the Rapier Persian javelin armed light cavalry I painted and used for photographing the ‘Mikey Mud’ post, I went on to prep up and paint the set of Camel Archers I had. Cleaning the models up I thought to myself – these look like they are semi-naked. This led me on to a picture hunt whence I came across this site (http://iranpoliticsclub.net/photos/U04-Achaemenian3/index.htm) which has a lovely archive of military photos.
I managed to find a photograph which the model could well have been sculpted from :-
These were a joy to paint (even if the models don’t have a quiver). Given the colours involved I spray undercoated in AP Desert Yellow followed by a black wash. The camels recieved a fairly heavy drybrush of Tan Yellow (v122), followed by a light drybrush in Dark Sand (v123). Next up I painted the flesh on the riders by block painting in Cork Brown (v133) and then using a dot and blob technique picked out the major muscle groups in Dark Flesh (v019). This is a technique I have used on 15mm ancients but never in 6mm, it has given a very pleasing result and if anything a little less paint would provided a little more contrast and definition. Next I painted the saddle cloth in Red (v033) with a double bottom edge stripe in Light Yellow (v010). Hair and beards were painted Black (v169), reigns in Cavalry Brown (v137), and finally the bows in Light Brown (v129). A wash in the old W&N Nutbrown Ink and varnish before basing.
The only thing that saddens me about these is that most army lists only allow one or two units!
Looking at the two units side by side makes me wonder if using 6 or 7 of the Camel archers per base would look more open order, or perhaps having one more light cavalry per base. I guess I shall have to wait to see what the heavier cavalry looks like alongside.
Struggling to decide what unit to paint next for the Persians, especially as I have a number of other dirstractions. Quite possibly will do a light Infantry and a skirmising infantry unit next.