One of my main collections is 28mm WoR as a spin off from my former days re-enacting the period. I know what many of you are thinking about the scale, well its a case of been doing these for a long while and have an extensive collection which would take some time to build up in another scale. If I was to approach this afresh then I would be torn between doing it in 6mm (Baccus – potential for further sculpting variation) or 15mm (those Peter Pig miniatures and full of character and Donnington’s New era stuff come to mind). In fact as I have been toying with the idea of redoing this period and having an attack of the ‘oooh shineys’ I have quite a number of figures for these scales in the lead pile.
Anyway I digress. I did a mass rebasing of some 700-800 figures a few years ago for Impetus. I had in mind that I would base my 28mm stuff on these 120mm x 60mm bases to create an action/scenic look to the collections. Some would form the basis of armies whilst others would just be a group of figures I liked the look of. For Impetus we had already based and used them with commands always being integral to one of the bases. Having played in the 15mm Impetus tournamnet (and latterly also considering using the collection for playing a modified Hail Ceaser rules) what became apparent was we needed some seperate command teams. I also recognised we could do with having some half size bases for the MAA to represent small units. It was also suggested that we might like to expand this solid collection to take our battles onto the continent!
With a surge of me wanting to reduce the lead pile along with one of our number having wanting some help and inspiration painting 28’s led me to having an excursion into 28mm models again. This was not without a little anxiety as it had been a few years since the last 28mm units I painted, and these took me 2-3 hours per figure and so tended to be painted over 2-3 months per unit! This is no way to either collect or expand an army. The 6mm mindset that I have develoed however helped a great deal and I was suprised at how these initial units and command teams started to roll off the painting board. I’ve not finished the bases (flock etc) as there is a few things I would like to try out before putting the final finish on.
So revieweing the lead pile I had some 200+ Front Rank figures along with ~ 100 Grenadier ones. With the more European look to the Grenadier models I have earmarked these for the initial Swiss and Burgundian units. As I had unintentionally bases the handgunners up wrong there was an opportunity to start with these units, which also felt like gradually breaking me into painting in this scale again. So the first units off the board were the Burgundian Handgunners followed by some Swiss Federation Handgunners.
To these was then added a couple of command teams using the Grenadier models for the Swiss again and Front Rank for the Burgundians
I was suprised how easily I was finding painiting the 28mm and even the command teams were being painted in under an hour per figure! Having got my eye in so to speak I started tackling the ‘proper’ WoR commands. First I had to chose which commands I should paint, this was slightly determined by what flags Sean had made up. In the first wave I have done Warwick, Somerset (although I have unintentionally painted the livery on the figure as the king – need to add blue/white check border), and Percy. For those of you thinking that they look a little large – these are true scale as to what size flag the individuals rank entiteled them to bear! We both agree however that on reflection about 75% of this size would look more ‘appropriate’.
I was in my zone for painting the livery coats, although quite relieved at there being a specific Warwick figure from front rank which was not wearing a surcoat!
At this stage we had a coulple of games and were enjoying playing Hail Ceaser over Impetus, the only problem was the MAA units were supposed to be small units. Given the standard unit is 120mm x 60mm I thought these could be done as 60mm x 60mm units which gives the option to double up to make a standard unit. The plan was to design these bases around some of the more prominent knights and supporters – which means we can get some more flags on the board.
There was enough Grenadier models to put a couple of multi-function / European MAA bases together. The first of these broke all records for how quickly I had painted 28mm to date. Admittedly they are wearing head to foot plate, so the focus was on this then picking out what little additional detail there was in straps etc. In all it took about 90 minutes to paint the 5 models!
The second base took a little longer as a bit more variety and surcoats.
The next up was Thomas Gower, using some Front Rank figures.
There are still hordes more metal figures to do before I embark on the masses of Perry plastics I bought. The plastics will however be ideal when it comes to the pike blocks that I hope to tackle.
One thing I am finding is that with playing more games I am better motivated and focused to get things finished. So I leave you with a picture of one of our games in action just before the real dirty buisness of the melee is embarked upon and I forget to take any more photos!